Tuesday, June 19, 2007

A Few Random Items

There is a Wal-Mart in Nanchang and it is absolutely
insane and chaotic and beyond description. I went there yesterday and I couldn't have been more interesting to the locals if I had three eyeballs. I was stared at constantly and a few people even pointed. At first thought I had a big booger, but then I realized that they don't see too many blue-eyed, ruggedly handsome Westerners here.

One boy, about twelve, kept staring at me and every time I looked in his direction he would cower behind his older brother. I finally said "Hi, how are you doing?" The older brother said hello and asked me where I was from. I told him that I was from the United States. He was very charming and polite and replied "Oh, you are from the United States. You must be very rich. I am studying English and want to be rich too. Very nice to meet you."

As they walked away, his younger brother was jumping up and down like he had just seen a famous celebrity (I have seen Bernadette Peters about six times in NY) and you could tell he was asking his older brother to tell him everything that I said. It was very charming and interesting.

It also made me realize that the world is much bigger (and smal
ler) then you think. Nanchang, a city that I am certain none of you know anything about, was described by our Chinese tour leader as "...a small city of six million..." New York has 8 million and most people think New York is the biggest city there is. A small city? Hard to believe. Our last stop in China, Guangzhou, has 10 million people and is considered 'medium-sized.'

Also, there are about a million bicycles and mopeds and motorized scooters here, and I can't even describe the harrowing traffic. It's true. I can't describe it. But trust me - it is harrowing. My Mom would love it (not really, she thinks traffic in suburban Kansas City is the worst in the world. Her head would explode here in two minutes. Also, she is requiring me to mention that she didn't like the picture I used of her in an earlier posting. Sorry, Mom.)

So back to the Wal-Mart - Jenny and Kim went to the Wal-Mart today and took some video footage. The one below I would advise you not to watch, unless you have a strong stomach. Jenny is amazing, as you will learn in the posting titled "Jenny is Amazing" on this here blog. However, as a video artist she is not exactly Martin Scorsese. The video below is footage from outside the Wal-Mart in Nanchang, and if you didn't know better you would think that Jenny was operating a jackhammer with her free hand.

This video has actually been proven by top vomitologists to be as vomit-inducing as the 1974 version of 'The Chevy Show' at Six Flags - you remember the part where the Corvette is doing about 100 MPH down the windy road and almost slams into the car stopped at the sign ahead. This video is just like that, only without sports cars and without the crowd all saying "Ooooohhhh" at the same time. I'm telling you - it is shaky and if you have a weak stomach you should just skip to the next one.



So now that you have seen that, please have a look at Jenny's video of the fish market inside the Wal-Mart. She got footage of the live eels and turtles for sale, but was then accosted by a security guard and told to turn off the camera. This one is funny (and also possibly vomit-inducing, but for a different reason).



Other random stuff - Amelia apparenlty does not like to take naps. I, on the other hand, like for her to take naps. Below is a photo of me after I FINALLY (after six hours of carrying her!) got her to fall asleep. CRIKEY!!!!


And now, please enjoy a photo of Sally sitting in the chair.