Sunday, June 10, 2007

Packing, Moving, Getting Ready to Go to China!!

We have spent the past week or so moving things around our apartment getting
ready to move our bedroom to the loft area of our apartment and set up the crib in our old bedroom. As a skilled carpenter and handyman, I was able to single-handedly disassemble the bed, move it upstairs, and reassemble it. Kim doubted my ability to handle such a complex mechanical task, but she should not have doubted my amazing talents.

I also used my master craftsman skills to put the crib
together, which involved some colorful language and some deft maneuvering. The crib, which was lovingly donated by our friends John and Madeline, is fantastic and nearly brand new. It made me think about when Ron and Deedrick and I were kids - we were all put in a crib that was brought over from Germany in the late 1800s.

This old crib, which apparently came from an old prison, had long, rusty bolts and exposed
sharp metal on which
we regularly cut our precious little baby skin. We had to go to the hospital about every two weeks to get stitches to close the festering wounds and shots to cure our repeated bouts of tetanus. Occasionally we would ask our beloved mother, "Judy", if we could have a crib that didn't slice our precious, soft little baby skin up all the time. She would just smile and reply "Make some spit and swallow it" Or maybe that was for something else.

By the way, our schedule is now finalized - here is the deal:

June 13th - Fly to Beijing
June 14th - 17th - Sightseeing in Beijing - Great Wall/Forbidden City
June 17th - Fly to Nanchang in the Province of Jiangxi
June 18th - Meet the TWINS on their birthday!!!!!!!
June 18th to June 22nd - In Nanchang
June 22nd - Fly to Guangzhou to get U.S. Consulate approval to bring the TWINS home
June 27th - Fly to Beijing and then back to New York!!! The TWINS come home (Woo Hoo!!!)

I will have my cell phone in China and will have access to email and the World Wide Internet. Please check daily for blog updates - I will have some short videos, photos, and my thoughts on what is going on. A word of warning - I will try not to type weepy, goofball stuff, but I can't guarantee anything.


Thank you for reading, and please enjoy the short video below of Kim packing: