Friday, September 25, 2009

June 2009 with the Girlies -
Grandma Linny and Aunt Mikey in New York

Ahhh, June. June Cleaver. Junebug. Juneteenth. Juneau. June Carter Cash. June Allyson. June is Dairy Month. Former Atlanta Falcons quarterback June Jones III. June Lockhart. June Taylor's Organic Marmalades. These are the things that come up when you type the word 'June' into Google.

For me June reminds me of my teenage years, when school was finally out and we had total, complete freedom. My parents both worked - my 'Mom' was a claims adjuster at Allstate, and she has many, many stories about money-hungry old ladies who purposely slip on grapes at Schnuck's and break their hips so they can sue for hundreds of dollars to compensate for their pain and suffering. My mom was a tough cookie, though, and the most she would offer them would be $50 and a one-way bus ticket to Fort Hancock, Texas if they promised never to bother her again. "Greedy old bags!", she used to say a few dozen times a day.

The most common scenario was often quite similar to this: "So, I had this claim today that you would not believe. This 96-year old woman had the AUDACITY to sue Schnuck's even though the spilled vegetable oil on the floor was clearly visible to anyone who would have been wearing their glaucoma glasses. So am I supposed to give some of Allstate's hard earned money to this greedy old schemer to fix her broken tibia and replace her shattered kneecap because she didn't think to look down at the floor and check for spilled Wesson before heading down the frozen food aisle? Hah! I don't think so. For all I know, she didn't even push the front legs of her walker firmly into the tennis balls to ensure proper gliding, so she has to share some of the responsibility here. Go try and pull your massive scam on some other stooge, granny!"

Anyway, both parents worked (well, Ray worked but, you know, not all the time, and not for any one particular company, but he was usually gone during the day) so I could sleep late, not waking up until my friend Terry would come over and break in through our back door to wake me up so we could go to the pool with Missy Hanover and listen to Rapper's Delight.



I don't have any pictures of my free-wheeling teenage years (I had lots of hair back then, and it was as white as the driven snow) but I do have some photos of our many activities this past June with the girlies (
I now have 'Now what you hear is not a test -- I'm rappin to the beat -- And me, the groove, and my friends are gonna try to move your feet ' running through my head).

June was a very eventful month for us - both grandmothers came to town, the girlies turned 3 (!), and we went to Spain to celebrate our friend's birthday. Below are photos of Kim's mom and the always delightful Aunt Mikey, who came to New York to spend time with the girlies and celebrate their third birthday.

Please enjoy these, won't you?


The girlies singing and dancing before bed



The girlies singing their ABCs

Grandma Linny with Sally at the park

Grandma Linny with Amelia at the park



Amelia and Grandma Linny on the park bench

The girlies with Grandma Linny and Aunt Mikey on the slide



On a carriage ride in Central Park - this video was made using the new 'Shake-a-Vision' technology you have heard so much about

On the Staten Island Ferry, looking at the Statue of Liberty (out the window on the right)

Isn't that cute?

Kim with Sally on the Carousel during the girlies birthday party The Rev. Laura Jervis with Amelia and Sally on the Carousel (Sally doesn't like riding by herself, as you can see) This one is pretty self-explanatory
See above